Which Sweetener to Use?
Article courtesy of the Feingold Association of the United States
There’s so much we don’t know about sweeteners, but the Association does have the accumulated experience of many thousands of families. Combining experience with what we do know, here’s a suggested guideline for choosing sweeteners:
The following are healthy choices:
- Sugar – granulated, confectioner’s, or brown
- Cane sugar crystals
- Turbinado and various raw sugars
- Honey, Molasses, Pure maple syrup
- Rice syrup and similar syrups
- Stevia (an herbal no-calorie sweetener found in the supplements section of your supermarket or a health food store)
Acceptable, but don’t overdo
When a sugar name ends in “ol” that means it is an alcohol sugar. Too much has a laxative effect.
Do not use
- Aspartame(NutraSweet, Equal)
- Saccharin (Sweet ‘N Low),
- Sucralose (Splenda)